Subject: Re: [wsrp] Interfaces discussion related getResource/navState

Inline questions...

Rich Thompson wrote:

I inserted some replies to your comments on the wiki page, but here is my summary:

1. It certainly is technically valid and feasible for a portlet to do the encoding, but the solution is not obvious and providing guidance in the area (as well as the rest of the AJAX-oriented domain) will make a big difference.
I am sure it is but I clearly don't get it based on the limited javascript knowledge I have.  Can you be more explicit? Your scheme seems to rely on the fact that a renderURL sets the current navState for the portlet -- i.e. by having the client double render the page (first with no navState and second with the navState the portlet encoded in the renderURL) the new navState is established.  Or is do you have something else in mind?  Can you describe in gernal terms the solution?

2. The solution might  be simpler with the actionLifecycleID proposal, but guidance would still be needed. I suspect such an idea would have other uses as well. We should explore how feasible it is across the full range of interesting Consumer designs and whether bookmarks and forward/back navigation would create confusion.

Rich

Michael Freedman <michael.freedman@oracle.com>

07/25/2006 01:17 PM

"wsrp >> OASIS WSRP TC" <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>

[wsrp] Interfaces discussion related getResource/navState

 Have updated the wiki replying to Rich's comment on how a portlet can
deal with maintaining navState in session.  This part of the discussion
is what I currently see as the main sticking point to accepting the
proposed solution that navState remain constant during getResource
calls.  As some of the discussion on the wiki is back and forth here is
asummary of the issue.

A portlet uses getResource to either in part or as a whole render the
portlet.  Some of these resource requests impact portlet state.  Portlet
state (as with the proposed solution) must be maintained in a portlet
session.  The portlet wants to use this current portlet state to render
via subsequent getResource calls and/or subsequent getMarkup calls (in
the case the page is refreshed or the user interacts with another
portlet on the page and the consumer decides to rerender everything on
the page).  However, the portlet doesn't want to use this state if the
user is coming into the page (again) via a bookmark.  Likewise it
doesn't want to use this state if the consumer policy is that page
navigation (from/back to this page) should revert the page to its
default/original state.

The issue is how does the portlet detect whether a given getMarkup (or
getResource) request is in the current page lifecycle or not?  We
discussed this lifecycle issue sometime back and decided the lifecycle
really corresponded to an action lifecycle.  I.e. a new lifecycle begins
when an action occurs and last until either the next action or the
consumer policy decides that a certain navigation creates a new
lifecycle (i.e. selecting a bookmark, navigate from/to the page).  In
the end we decided not to formailze this lifecycle in the spec because
we felt the producer/portlet could easily manage its own notion which
corresponded to this.  However the mechanism relied on encoding info in
the navState.  Hence the issue with getResource -- for if its precluded
from using navState it must either resort an obscure and maybe not even
valid manipulation via client side javascript (Rich's suggestion).  The
issues for me are:
1) Is there a technical solution so the portlet can implement its own
notion of lifecycle?
2) If there is, how obscure/feasible is it?
3) What would the spec need to do to directly support a notion of
lifecycle and what burden would this place on the consumer?
4) Which is better (2) or (3)?

As for what we could do in the spec, I wonder if we can get away with
asking the consumer to send an actionLifecyleId in all requests and
define a reserved value to mean the initial/default lifecycle.