Subject: Suggestion to change the newNavigationalContextScope event into anavigational parameter

Hi,
when thinking about how to map the event that we introduced in draft 2
on the JSR 286 I still disliked that this event breaks the idempotency
of render and thus is against W3C recommendations. Thus I tried to find
a solution that addresses the use case we had and does not break the
idempotency for render.

My suggestion is to use a container provided navigational parameter
(e.g. wsrp:navigationalContextScopeID) to all portlets interested in
this context ID. This ID would be constant for a current navigational
context scope and would change if the consumer decides to start a new
scope (which is currently modeled with sending a new event). The portlet
could then use the consumer provided ID and add its own ID and use this
to manage its part of the nav state.

What do people think about this from the technical side?

Another question is how to get a change into the spec at this stage. I
think we would need to abort our current review and submit an updated to
be reviewed.

Rich, can you tell us what this would require?

Sorry that it took me this long to come up with this idea.

Stefan