Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [wsrp] public comment: navigational values on action URLs?]

I agree with Stefan's interpretation.
The public nav params are managed by the Consumer.
Invocation of an URL containing public nav params causes the Consumer to
update its shared nav params set and distribute it to the portlets.
In the case of action URLs the Consumer's algorithm when invocing an action
URL with public nav params set, would be:
1. update public nav params set with values from URL
2. execute pbia() against the portlet (with the new param set)
3. update public nav params if the portlet returned some as the result from
pbia()
4. call gm() on other portlets with the set from 3.

Why would a portlet want to set public nav params on URL invocation of an
action when it's going to set them in the response of pbia() anyway? The
only portlet that is triggered by the action URL, is the portlet itself.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

        Richard Jacob
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
Dept. 2289, WebSphere Portal Server Development 1
WSRP Team Lead
WSRP Architecture & Standardization
Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888

IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschäftsführung: Herbert Kircher
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen

             Stefan Hepper
             <sthepper@hursley
             .ibm.com>                                                  To
                                       WSRP TC <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>
             08/15/2007 01:13                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       [Fwd: Re: [wsrp] public comment:
                                       navigational values on action
                                       URLs?]

sorry, forgot to include the tc mailing list...

----- Message from Stefan Hepper <sthepper@hursley.ibm.com> on Wed, 15 Aug
2007 08:54:40 +0200 -----

       To: Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@bea.com>

I think your understanding is different from what is currently in the
WSRP spec. Currently the spec says (9.2.1.3):
"The value of this portlet URL parameter defines updates to the
publicValues portion of the Portlet's navigational state which the
Portlet defined in its PortletDescription."

So the portlet or producer would only set changes public nav state on
the URL, not the current public nav state. This is different in the
non-shared case where always the current state is provided.

Stefan

Subbu Allamaraju wrote:
> I agree with Mike. WSRP has a slightly broader model for nav state,
> and due to the collapsing of nav state, interaction state and form
> parameters into "parameters", JSR168/286 has a narrower usage.
>
> Subbu
>
> On Aug 14, 2007, at 4:48 PM, Michael Freedman wrote:
>
>> I believe it is really intended.  Navigational State is one of the
>> mechanisms we provide for portlets to offload portlet state.  As a
>> representation of portlet state its logical it be represented in
>> all portlet URLs (even if indirectly because its implied) and
>> passed to all portlet requests.  Yes, an action response sets new
>> nav state so its conceivable for a portlet to merely encode some/
>> all of the nav state it intends to return as interaction parameters
>> having this clean separation gives clients/portlets much more
>> flexibility in recognizing/processing incoming parameters.  I
>> understand that JSR 168/286 made decisions that blends all of these
>> back into a single concept (parameters) but that was its choice
>> based in part of to the existing programming model (servlets).
>>   -Mike-
>>
>> Stefan Hepper wrote:
>>> Is it really intended that you can set navigational values on an
>>> action URL or is this an oversight in the URL BNF?
>>>
>>> I think result of the action should set new navigational values,
>>> but not the submit of an action URL. Encoding new nav values will
>>> reset whatever nav value other portlets have set in the meantime
>>> after the URL has been generated.
>>> Is there really a use case to support this?
>>>
>>> Stefan

legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and
have received this message in error, please immediately return this by
email and then delete it.