Subject: public review comment: Force Consumers to only send public navigationalvalues declared by the portlet

Currently we seem to allow Consumers to send basically any arbitrary public
value to the portlets in NavigationalContext.
Shouldn't we add a conformance statement that allows just those values to
be supplied in the NavigationalContext.publicValues[] which the portlet
subscribed to?

The reason for this statement is:
1. Consumers need to filter/distinguish private and public params anyway
2. With the current spec wording, Producers must protect themselves and
check/filter which parameters received are the ones the portlet subscribed
to.
The reason for this filtering is that a clash with potential side effects
may occur when public & shared render parameters are merged into the JSR286
parameter map.
This results in handling the navigationalContext on both sides, thus
reducing overall performance.
We would be better off if the Producer could rely on receiving only public
params which the portlet subscribed to.

Example:
portlet uses parameter A and B and declares A as public.
When encoding navigationalContext, the portlet has set A and B in its e.g.
render params.
From a WSRP perspective A is represented in NavigationalValues and B in the
opaque value.

When the following request comes in and the Consumer send B in the opaque
value but also A AND B in the publicValues, then we would have 2 Bs
encoded.
What is the Producer supposed to do?
Merging both Bs into 1 multi-value param might cause side effect in the
portlet.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

        Richard Jacob
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
Dept. 2289, WebSphere Portal Server Development 1
WSRP Team Lead
WSRP Architecture & Standardization
Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888

IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschäftsführung: Herbert Kircher
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen