Subject: Re: [wsrp] getResource() questions

Nathan E Lipke <nlipke@bea.com> wrote on 12/07/2007 12:29:14 AM:

> 1. I don't see any place in the URL template to store the portlet's
> state (base64 binary)
> If a portlet is using consumer side state management there is no way
> to send this state on a getResource() request.
> Is there some other way of propagating this state?

This should be sent using the portletContext.portletState field.

> 1. The spec states:
> As a result, while the Portlet's navigationalContext is supplied to
> this operation, neither the URL nor the response are permitted to
> change this navigationalContext. If a logical side effect of the
> invocation is changing the Portlet's navigationalContext, either the
> Portlet or the Producer will need to manage this change until the
> next opportunity to return the navigationalContext to the Consumer.
> However the following fields are in the spec but not meaningful
> ResourceParams contains portletStateChange which should always be
readOnly
> ResourceResponse contains an optional PortletContext. There is no
> need for this as it cannot be used for any meaningful purpose.
> Am I missing something here or are these fields vestigial?

I think you mix up navigationalState and portlet's persistent state here.
While gR() can not modify navigationalState of the portlet (note the
browser triggers the gR() and the page URLs may contain portlet nav state
in them, so no chance to change that) it *can* modify persistent state.
The stateChange flag controls whether the portlet is allowed to write
persistent state or not.
If it does, it can return the new state and handle (in case of
cloneBeforeWrite) in the ResourceResponse.PortletContext structure.