wss-comment message

Subject: RE: [wss-comment] Password Digest

I'm no real security expert but as you describe it, aren't the security
risks the same with both?
1.  Base64(SHA-1(nonce + created + password))
2.  Base64(SHA-1(nonce + created + SHA-1(password)))
In case 1 you store it cleartext on the server and and use it cleartext
on the client side
In case 2 you store it sha-1 on the server and use it sha-1 on the
client side

In both cases you could steal the content of e.g. the ldap server and
get into the system. The issue, imho, IS what is send over the network
and not (mainly) what is stored. You own the machine it is stored on (in
most cases) you do not however own the network.

Ronald