wss-comment message

Subject: recursive Security Token References

Section 7 of the core specification goes into great details
on the concept of Token references, but it does not appear
to address the concept of a token reference referencing
another token reference (e.g. an indirect reference).

I think that at the absolute minimum there should be
a statement about this case, perhaps saying it is out
of scope for the specification -- although I would rather
see this situation addressed.

My recommendation would be add some discussion within
section 7.2 (Direct References) pointing out that such
a reference could be a reference to another STR which
should be de-referenced.  For example, add the following
to the discussion about the @URI attribute:

    The URI may point also point to an STR which
    should be dereferenced in order to get to the
    actual token.  In such case the ValueType should
    be set to "#STR".

We have found a need to refer to a reference in the
case where we have messages that may pass round the
same token in multiple locations within a message
and the ability to refer to the other location is
very useful -- especially in the case where one
of the STRs is an embedded token and other STRs
refer to the embedded token itself.

Apologies if I've missed the discussion on this
capability somewhere in the doc.

Conor