wss-comment message

Subject: In support of xml:id [Amended]

[ I just realized that in my previous comment, I failed to include the
referenced URIs. My appologies. Here is the message again, with
appropriate references. ]

Dear WSS TC,

What follows are my personal comments, but note in passing that in my
role as an editor of the xml:id Version 1.0 specification and co-chair
of the XML Core WG, I have been intimately involved with the
progression of xml:id towards Recommendation.

I would like to endorse Frederick Hirsch's proposal[1] to add xml:id
to the WSS 1.1 specification. The xml:id specification provides
uniform access to XML IDs for documents irrespective of whether they
have been subjected to DTD or other forms of schema validation.

I'm not in a position to comment with any authority on the WSS
specifications, but xml:id processing is pretty light weight. What is
probably of more concern is the dependency from WSS 1.1 to a W3C
specification that is not yet a Recommendation

I offer the following anecdotal evidence to suggest that xml:id will
become a Recommendation in a timely fashion:

- The PR review period for xml:id closed on 26 August.
- I have heard informally that the PR review was successful.
- There were six comments[2][3] on the PR draft, of which four were
  editorial, one was a request for a new XML feature, and one was not
  a comment on the specification. At the XML Core WG meeting of 31
  Aug, the WG reached consensus[4] on how to address all of them.

I am optimistic that the xml:id Version 1.0 specification will advance
to Recommendation very quickly. You can be sure that I will do everything
in my power to see that this is the case.

If you have any questions that I might be able to answer, or if there
is anything that I can do to help the TC reach consensus to support
xml:id in WSS 1.1, please do not hesitate to contact me.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wss-comment/200508/threads.html#00007
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-id/2005Jul/thread.html