wss-m message

Subject: RE: [wss-m] questions about TC intent for CSD01 spec publications

Robin,

I'm tied up with another project at the moment. I will propose answers later today or tomorrow.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Robin Cover [mailto:robin@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2011 6:02 AM
To: WSS-M TC List
Cc: Robin Cover

TC members,

Submission requests were received for the seven documents to be published at CSD level (CSD01), per the TC minutes for the
2011-02-23 TC meeting [1], and notifications sent to the TC list.

I present here some title information as recorded in the v1.1/v1.1.1 documents and in the JIRA submission requests, followed by five questions for the TC.

Work Titles: v1.1 OS/Errata, v1.1.1 WD02 documents, v1.1.1 in JIRA

Web Services Security Kerberos Token Profile 1.1 Web Services Security Kerberos Token Profile Version 1.1.1 Web Services Security Rights Expression Language (REL) Token Profile 1.1 Web Services Security Rights Expression Language (REL) Token Profile Version 1.1.1 Web Services Security SOAP Message with Attachments (SwA) Profile Version 1.1.1 * Web Services Security SOAP Messages with Attachments (SwA) Profile 1.1 Web Services Security Username Token Profile Version 1.1.1 Web Services Security UsernameToken Profile 1.1 Web Services Security X.509 Certificate Token Profile 1.1 Web Services Security X.509 Certificate Token Profile Version 1.1.1 Web Services Security: SAML Token Profile 1.1 Web Services Security SAML Token Profile Version 1.1.1 Web Services Security: SOAP Message Security 1.1 (WS-Security 2004) Web Services Security: SOAP Message Security Version 1.1.1 **

** JIRA TCADMIN records no COLON for SOAP Message Security
  - Web Services Security SOAP Message Security 1.1.1
  - http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/TCADMIN-409

* JIRA TCADMIN records "Message" (not "Messages") for SWA
  - Web Services Security SOAP Message with Attachments (SwA) Profile 1.1.1
  - http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/TCADMIN-410
  - http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/TCADMIN-293

Questions:

1. What is the TC's intent/preference with respect to the use
    or non-use of COLON in SOAP Message Security spec title?

    For uniformity across the seven documents, it seems that
    you would *not* want the COLON character; per above, the
    WD02 document title contains the COLON character, but
    the submission request -409 in JIRA does not

2. What is the TC's intent with respect to singular/plural
    (Message or Messages) in the SwA title?  I'm seeking
    clarification because the v1.1 spec uses "SOAP Messages"
    while the recent JIRA submission requests and the
    WD02 document use "SOAP Message"

3. May I take it for granted that the URIs provided for
    the candidate CSDs in the 2011-02-23 meeting minutes
    incorrectly identify the WD01 exemplars, while the
    TC's intent was to approve/advance the WD02-level
    documents in Kavi [2], as indicated in the JIRA
    submission requests?

4. Six of the seven WD02 documents provide a URI reference for
    SOAP Message Security Version 1.1.1 as follows (in all cases)
    http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss-m/wss/v1.1.1/csd01/wss-SOAPMessageSecurity-v1.1.1-csd01.pdf

    In keeping with a provisional opinion expressed earlier [3], I think
    that URI pattern is expected under current practice, so the URIs
    for the three required formats, as published, would be:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss-m/wss/v1.1.1/csd01/wss-SOAPMessageSecurity-v1.1.1-csd01.doc (Authoritative) http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss-m/wss/v1.1.1/csd01/wss-SOAPMessageSecurity-v1.1.1-csd01.pdf
http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss-m/wss/v1.1.1/csd01/wss-SOAPMessageSecurity-v1.1.1-csd01.html

    Please let me know if the URI references above are not in accord
    with the TCs expectation.

5. The WD02-level documents [2] targeted for publication (after prepending a
    proper cover page, etc) have been uploaded to the TC document
    repository in editable source format where the change tracking is
    visible.  Our typical practice would be to publish these "as is"
    with change tracking visible, because turning off change tracking
    could create unforeseen problems (the required HTML and PDF format
    documents cannot be toggled by a reader to show/hide the changes).

    If the TC wishes, I could also produce a "clean" version for each of
    the specifications, using a filename addition [-csd01]-clean, for example

http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss-m/wss/v1.1.1/csd01/wss-SOAPMessageSecurity-v1.1.1-csd01-clean.pdf

    These URIs would not be printed on the cover page, but the files would
    be made available in the same directory as the other documents
    (-csd01.doc, -csd01.pdf, -csd01.html) and would be URI referencable.

6. If additional questions arise about processing the submission requests
    for CSD publication (and beyond), would the TC prefer that I just
    work out the negotiations with the Chair, or (alternatively) that I
    seek clarifications in email to the TC via the TC list?  There are
    advantages to each approach.  If the TC feels comfortable allowing
    the TC Chair to make decisions (consulting the TC only as deemed
    necessary), that approach can be faster and sometimes more effective.
    Just let me know.

Thanks.

- Robin