wss-m message

Subject: Best term for relationship between v1.1.1 and v1.1?

Re:
   - questions about X.509 Certificate Token Profile (CSD)
   - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wss-m/201103/msg00008.html

At the very end of my recent message I wrote (too hastily):

> For "Related work:" in connection with this spec,
> I would plan to say it supersedes the OS and OS Errata,
> while being a part of the multi-part "Web Services
> Security" spec which includes six other parts.

The term "supersedes" may be too strong a claim, or
simply an incorrect term, so I'll invite the WSS-M TC to provide
some appropriate relator term to characterize the
relationship between "Web Services Security X.509
Certificate Token Profile Version 1.1.1" (CSD01) and the
V1.1 predecessor(s).

Since the TC's stated goal is to "to **correct** a number
of currently known errors in the specifications to
prepare for PAS Submission to ISO/IEC JTC 1", it may be
better to say, with respect to the OS (and OS Errata
documents of v1.1)

This V1.1.1 specification corrects:
  - http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/v1.1/wss-v1.1-spec-os-x509TokenProfile.pdf
  - http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/v1.1/wss-v1.1-spec-errata-os-x509TokenProfile.pdf

For some general guidance on use of relator terms in the
cover page section 'Related Work:', see the discussion here:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/namingGuidelines/metadata.html#relatedWork

The most generic is simply:

"This specification is related to:"

If some other very is more descriptive and accurate, you can use it,
as IETF and other SSOs/SDOs do, e.g., reciprocal terms

(Obsoletes xxx) (Obsoleted by xxx) (Updates xxx) (Updated by xxx)

Robin

--

Robin Cover
Interim TC Administrator