wss-m message

Subject: RE: [wss-m] Best term for relationship between v1.1.1 and v1.1?

My first inclination is to use "updates". If not that, what about "replaces"?

-----Original Message-----
From: Carlo Milono [mailto:cmilono@tibco.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 7:26 PM
To: Robin Cover; WSS-M TC List

Robin,

  I did much of the editing, and suggested the 'third digit' numbering scheme; it is what my Company does for 'service packs'.
  I agree that supersedes is laden with assumptions, but it is also a claim of authority - that one could/should move 1.1.1 to "take the place of" v1.1, or "displace in favor of...".
http://mw2.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/supersedes

  Words are emotional, but in many ways, this use of the word "supersede" is correct intellectually, if not emotionally (and P.C.ness).  "Look here for the truth"  maybe I'm being a bit pompous, but...we are trying to put a stake in a new ground.

  Arm-wrestle:  would "subsume" be better? I can't say Thesaurus without lisping.
  I agree about the IETF stance, but Obsoletes also seems to imply an incorrectness (true, depending on the version referenced, but it is more of a consolidation than a correction, though it really incorporates both), Updates is closer, but this is not a corrigendum or errata, it is an incorporation of errata - like taking a 'patch' and applying it to a specific version (not patched).
  Just losing weight after Fat Tuesday...