wss-m message

Subject: RE: [wss-m] IBM's Position on Submitting WSS-M for ISO Standardization

It is my understanding that the understanding between OASIS and JTC1 is that only OASIS Standards and Errata thereto will be submitted to JTC1.

The relevant requirement from the OASIS TC Process for any OASIS Standard is that three Statements of Use have been submitted. A Statement of Use is defined as:

----
"Statement of Use", with respect to a Committee Specification, is a written statement by an OASIS Organizational Member stating that it is successfully using or implementing that specification in accordance with the conformance clauses specified in Section 2.18, identifying those clauses that apply, and stating whether its use included the interoperation of multiple independent implementations. A Statement of Use must be endorsed by the Organizational Member's Primary Representative.
----

The WSS-M TC has already received (at least) 3 such Statements, so this requirement has already been fulfilled.

Note that the Statement must say if interoperability testing has occurred, but such interoperation is not required by OASIS. In the case of WSS-M, the participants are basing their Statements of interoperation on testing done in the past, as there have been no changes by the WSS-M TC which affect interoperability. In fact, the TC is forbidden by Charter to make any changes of that sort.

In any event, I believe the consensus of the TC is to advance WSS 1.1.1 to OASIS Standard. The issue under debate is whether or not to follow that with submission to JTC1.

Hal