wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] WSS Focus

RE: "The charter and scope of our TC... stated only that we will deal only with the WS-Security specification" and the set of other topics "was not in the original TC charter, and that others may have attended had they seen this in the charter"...

The statement was made several times (and I presume that this will show up in the minutes) that many of us viewed the list of items in the charter as the "minimal" set of items we will work on as a TC - not the final ultimate list that narrowly constrains what we can work on.  Personally, I made my decision to attend based on the fact that that this is called the WS-Security TC and I fully expect the TC to (eventually) address things beyond what is addressed in the submitted WS-Security input document.  The Statement of Purpose clearly stated that the TC will "continue the work on the Web services security foundations...".  This permits us to pursue more than SOAP message security.

As I and others stated during the f2f, some of us feel strongly that there are some things we know of now, and others that will probably come up as we work on V1, that are extremely important to WS-Security but don't deal with SOAP message security that we don't have time for in the V1 timeframe.

In short, I believe our charter defines us as THE Web Services Security TC and that we SHOULD (eventually) address more than SOAP message security.  I can't and don't believe that folks really think that when V1 is done, that we can declare that WS-Security is done. There will need to be a V.next.  And I do not read the charter as preventing us from working on these things once V1 is done.

OASIS does not require us to shut down our TC when V1 is done and defer new work to a new TC.

Rob Philpott

RSA Security Inc.

The Most Trusted Name in e-Security

Tel: 781-515-7115