wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] The Web Services Roadmap (Action #6)

On reason I would like to see the roadmap submitted "somewhere" is that I would like to publicly comment on it and perhaps see some public discussion on some of its points. Currently there is not even an email to send comments to the authors.

Of course, I could publish my own "roadmap" but that seems counterproductive, as I agree with most of the document, but there are aspects I would like clarified or seem to me to be ill considered. I have heard on several occasions for knowledgeable parties that "the Roadmap will evolve in the future." This make me all the more anxious to see public comments collected somewhere that the authors might be able to consider them.

Hal
-----Original Message-----
From: Kelvin Lawrence [mailto:klawrenc@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 12:45 PM
To: wss@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: ckaler@microsoft.org
Subject: [wss] The Web Services Roadmap (Action #6)

On the TC call today, I took an action to post an e-mail regarding the Roadmap action item (#6 on the actions list). At the F2F meeting on September 4th & 5th, the Chairs (Chris and I) took an action to investigate having IBM and Microsoft submit the Web Services Security Roadmap to the TC as a non-normative document. The status on this action is that Chris and I are working with our respective colleagues to investigate this. However, at the call today, a question was asked along the lines of "why is this necessary and what was the intention to do with the Roadmap given our clarified charter specifically states that we will not evolve a roadmap". Further, the point was made that the document is public on the web and that we do not intend to quote from it directly. It was suggested that by having the roadmap submitted we at least had a snapshot of the document as it was when the original WS-Security document was submitted to th! e TC. It was also mentioned that we reference other documents that we do not have "official copies" of in our TC document repository. No one on the call today was able to fully clarify what the purpose of the Roadmap document once submitted would be.. Therefore, I agreed to post this e-mail and ask the TC members to please clarify the intended use/purpose of the roadmap once submitted and also to re-assess how strong an issue this is. While we (the chairs) are more than happy to pursue this action, it would be useful to know that we are spending energy on the right issues.

Let's discuss here and decide if there is a strong enough desire for Chris and I to aggressively pursue this.

Many thanks
Kelvin