wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] Proposal to Label Tokens to Indicate Their Semantics

Title: RE: [wss] Proposal to Label Tokens to Indicate Their Semantics

Zahid,

I could not make out your "ASCII art" (below following "For Example:") and I am having a little trouble understanding what you have in mind. My understanding is the following:

The current document provides for security headers, which can be labeled with an actor/role indicating who is supposed to read them.

I have proposed a way that one or more security tokens be labeled to indicate their purpose.

I have further proposed that it might be desirable to allow the grouping of tokens to convey the semantic that they refer to the same system entity.

Also note that generally speaking, the security tokens in question contain information which associates the identity with some security domain or at least issuing party. Even the username token may do this, in the case of it being of the form: "fred@example.com."

As I understand it, you want to associate some further information with the tokens. I think it is the identity of the party who put them in the header, but I am not sure. If this is the case, it is not clear what the information would be used for. When signatures are used as a Subject Confirmation Method, it seems to me that what you want to know is what parties generated various signatures, but who or when or where a token came to be in the message does not seem to me to be important for security purposes.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are proposing. As usual, some usecases would help clarify the requirements.

Hal