wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] Interesting article this morning...

>>On that note, I just worked out the right analogy.
>>
>>Before DNS was introduced there was a file called the
>>hosts.txt file that
>>circulated amongst the sysops. The hosts.txt file provided
>>the same basic
>>service as DNS, binding a host name to an IP address.
>>
>>Of course it was clear to everyone that the hosts.txt file
>>mechanism would
>>eventually become unmaintainable, even if the Internet grew
>>to include only
>>the universities. But the initial lack of DNS did not delay
>>the introduction
>>of the Internet.

I accept your analogy as helpful. However, unlike the
internet which was developed entirely within a sheltered group
with a strong communitarian ethos, this technology is being
developed within the commercial marketplace.

Even more challenging, it is
aimed at enterprise customers and, for these folks, often the
number #1 issue is manageable deployment. The absence of a notation
for describing security properties will either cripple commercial deployment
or encourage development of proprietary notations. This type
of situation has a specially
bad impact on "best-of-breed" small ISV's such as my employer.

>>Of course having spent the past days trying to deal with all
>>this stuff I
>>still haven't got round to doing what I had intended to do
>>and send a not to
>>QoP to point out that we have to consider more than just
>>WS-Security, we
>>need to consider SecureConversation and Key Agreement issues.

I do not think we need to cover all of these issues in the
first go around. A Version 1.0 that provides a notation for transport
and WS-Security related security
properties would be very helpful in a practical system.

- prateek mishra