wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] WSS-X509 - Review contribution

> 3. References (general). The use of identifiers such as
> [DIGSIG] in line
> 151 while
>     traditional in some standards can be problematic. Please consider
> changing all
>     reference identifiers to simple numbers like [1]. The use of text
> here has marginal
>     benefit for readers, and in a set of documents such as in
> WSS, begs
> for common
>     agreement or coordination between documents in a way that use of
> simple
>     numbers does not. Using text is also error prone. See,
> [X509], for a
> similar
>     problem below. There are many standards that could be
> labeled with
> "X509".

I strongly disagree here. I am always irritated by numbered references,
they make me work to look up references which are usually pretty
standard.

The ambiguity between documents referenced by [X.509] does not worry me
at all since the choice of document to reference is usually arbitrary.
For most internet related specs the referent of something like [RFC822]
is immediately apparent.

Synchronization between documents is not a major problem.

> 4. Line 151, change reference to identify author
>
>     R. Shirley, Internet Security Glossary,
>     http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2828.txt, IETF RFC 2828, May 2000.

OK

> 5. Lines 162-165
>
>    This hypertext link takes you to the ITU-T Electronic
> Bookstore where the
>    X.509 standard can be downloaded for free. This link does
> not appear
> to belong
>    with the document cited, which I believe should probably be
>
>    S. Satesson, W. Polk, P. Barzin, M. Nystrom, Internet
> X.509 Public Key
>    Infrastructure Qualified Certificates Profile,
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2828.txt,
>    IETF RFC 3039, January 2001.

Not close! The qualified certificates draft reference in the text
appears to have come from somewhere else, qualified certificates are not
relevant to WS-Security. The hyperlink is correct, the citation is not,
will fix.

> 6. The footing indicates that this document is the core specification
> document,
>     WSS-Core-01.

OK

> 7. Lines 3, 17, 52, 80, 87, 98, 127, and 132, change "X509"
> to "X.509".

OK

> Add a
>    reference to the X.509 standard. For example,
>
>    ISO/IEC 9594-8: Information technology (2000) | ITU-T
> Recommendation
>    X.509 (2001), Open Systems Interconnection -- The Directory:
> Authentication
>    framework,
http://www.itu.int/rec/recommendation.asp?type=items&lang=e
   &parent=T-REC-X.509-200003-I.

Yep, see comment to 5, qualified certs are not what we are doing!