wss message

Subject: Re: [wss] Fwd: WS-Security specs make their debut

Thanks Kelvin. I'm particularly interested in the conversation
document, with XCBF and WSS glasses on. I amy have missed
it, but is there a place I can get the draft to have a look at? There
are other in XCBF also involved in ITU-T who likely will be
very much interested in this work.

Phil Griffin

Kelvin Lawrence wrote:

Hi Ed,  thanks for the note, I think the press article you referenced was unfortunately very poorly worded and seems to use the phrase "WS-Security" in a generic sense where the phrase "security roadmap" would  have been more accurate.

As I know you are aware, IBM and Microsoft produced a Web services security roadmap back in April, along with the roadmap, a single concrete specification called WS-Secuirity was also produced. WS-Security was outlined in the roadmap as the basis for the rest of the specifications in the roadmap. WS-Security was consequently submitted to OASIS and the WSS TC was chartered.

What IBM, Microsoft,Verisign, RSA Security, BEA  Systems and SAP have done this week is to deliver drafts of some of the other specifications described in the roadmap. As you recall the WSS-TC did not want to assume the responsibility of the roadmap, and at our first F2F in September the charter was clarified after a lot of discussion to make it clear what the scope of the TC was. The roadmap itself was not submitted to the TC in any formal way.

So while I agree the article you pointed us all to is poorly worded, the WSS-TC has not undertaken any new specifications in your absence or anything like that  and the charter has not been changed. I spoke to some of the people who participated in the announcement of these new specs and they told me that it was made very clear that these were new specs being delivered as part of filling out the roadmap. Unfortunately this particular journalist seems to have used some incorrect words and confused WS-Security with the overall roadmap. I have seen other articles this week that do focus on the roadmap more accurately.

Also, some of the other press articles I have seen do go on to say that the authors of the new specifications intend to take the specifications to a standards body which is accurate coverage. As of today, the new specifications are published to the respective author's web sites to allow people to comment on them.

I hope this clears things up a bit, and likewise best wishes for a safe and happy holiday period to you and all of our TC members.

Cheers
Kelvin