wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] Web Services Security Username Token Profile

Title: RE: [wss] Web Services Security Username Token Profile

Yes, I agree with you, Gene.

We can certainly define specialized versions of KeyInfo
since it is extensible for PBE and in this way achieve
Password token binding similar to other tokens (e.g.,
SAML).

This would be a fine approach for a new token profile
although I am concerned the more tokens we have the
more interop concerns there will be.

thanks,
Zahid

-----Original Message-----
From: Gene Thurston [mailto:gthurston@amberpoint.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 1:53 PM
To: 'Ahmed, Zahid'; 'Web Services Security'

Thanks for the comments, Zahid.

I agree that in practice SSL/TLS can, and will often (usually?), be used
to provide these capabilities.  I still believe, however, that we should
address cases where transport level security is either not an option, or
for some other reason (application specific, perhaps) is not being used.

On the XML Signature spec, the use of other algorithms will not break
our compliance with the standard.  While the spec does define
identifiers for the DSA and RSA algorithms, it is intended to be
extensible: "... the mechanism is extensible; alternative algorithms may
be used by signature applications."  This is analogous to the extensions
in the <ds:KeyInfo> element, or the definition of Transform URIs, both
of which we are currently planning to use for SecurityTokenReferences.

I actually have no problem with your idea of keeping the existing
Username token profile (using nonce, creation timestame, digests, etc.),
and perhaps adding a second Username profile which would provide the
binding with the message.  This was, in fact, where my thinking was
headed, as well.

I do think, however, that we need to point out the security issues in
the Threat Model, and at least state that secure transports can
alleviate these concerns.  (But, then again, if you are using a secure
transport, why bother doing anything more than sending the password in
clear text?)

Thanks, again,

- Gene -