wss message

Subject: [wss] Potentially Relevant XML Signature Patent

-------- Original Message --------
From: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Subject: Potentially Relevant XML Signature Patent
To: "IETF/W3C XML-DSig WG" <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>
CC: patent-issues@w3.org, scoya@ietf.org, "Tom Gonser" <tomg@gonser.com>

This email is notice that a Chair of the xmldsig WG has received
information
from Tom Gosner of DocuTouch/NetUPDATE about a patent claim that *might* be

relevant to our completed work.

Such information should *not* be sent to the Chairs but to the appropriate
parties/lists as specified by IETF/W3C process. However, Mr. Gosner has
failed to make these disclosures as I requested on December 17th.
Consequently, I'm disclosing the little information I know (below) in the
context of the following policy:
   Neither the [8]IESG/IETF or the [9]W3C take a position
   regarding (1) the validity or scope of any intellectual property right
   or other rights that might be claimed to pertain to the implementation
   or use of the technology, nor (2) the extent to which any license
   under such rights might or might not be available.
   http://www.w3.org/Signature/Disclosures.html

> I believe that DocuTouch/NetUPDATE, Inc's patent on SIDEX (Secure
> Internet Document Exchange) may cover some of what the W3G is working
> on in the area of online document & contract signing.  Information
> about this patent can be found at:
> http://www.netupdate.com/press/112701.html.
> The patent is number 6,289,460.
>
> Tom Gonser
> Director
> NetUPDATE, Inc.
> 3447 119th Ave NE
> Bellevue, WA 98005
> (425) 246-2117

Anthony Nadalin | work 512.436.9568 | cell 512.289.4122