wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] What constitutes a claim

This is exactly the kind of discussion I was trying to stimulate.

At 04:57 PM 3/26/2003, DeMartini, Thomas wrote:
>While we are on the subject, it might make sense to compare and contrast
>the UsernameToken ST with other STs.
>
>For other STs (such as X.509), we have another specification (such as
>the X.509 specification) we reference to make it clear what claims are
>made by the token.  For the UsernameToken, we do not have this luxury
>and should make it clear when we define the UsernameToken.
>
>I propose the following:
>A. If a UsernameToken contains a Username element, the UsernameToken is
>making the claim that that user created the message.

This would seem to imply that a <Security> element could contain at most
one <UsernameToken>.  This would seem to be overly restrictive to me. We
may want to identify more than two actors.  And it would preclude me from
using the <UsernameToken> in various reasonable ways.

For example, a web service receives a message with a <UsernameToken>. In
order to do its job it wants to make a request of another web service. It
isn't forwarding the original request, but creating an entirely new
request. Your formulation seems to preclude it from passing on the
<UsernameToken>. That seems to be a gratuitous restriction.

Also you'll just stimulate philosophical debates about what "creating a
message" means.

>B. If a UsernameToken also contains a Password element, the
>UsernameToken is making the additional claim that that user has that
>password.
>C. If a UsernameToken also contains a timestamp/nonce, the UsernameToken
>is making the additional claim that the UsernameToken is only to be
>applied to one message.
>
>What follows is an explanation of why I think those are the appropriate
>claims for a UsernameToken to be making and some comparison/contrast to
>some other key-based security token types we have been dealing with.
>
>--
>
>Consider a generic hypothetical key-based token type.  Conceptually, we
>have four things in an example request:
>
>1. The hypothetical token which makes the claim that a particular key,
>K, belongs to "Thomas".
>2. The message body.
>3. The signature of the token signing authority over the token.
>4. The signature of K over the message, timestamp, and nonce.
>
>When the token signing authority signs the token, the token signing
>authority vouches for the claims the token makes (in this case, that the
>key belongs to "Thomas").
>
>When K signs the message, timestamp, and nonce, K is vouching for the
>message and the freshness of the message.
>
>--
>
>Now, consider the UsernameToken case without a password.  In this case,
>the user represented by the username cannot sign the message because he
>has no key (unless he uses his password to sign the message), so, to
>make it secure, we have a third party sign the message.  Conceptually,
>we have three things in an example request:

Or we could be in an environment where the service can determine a public
key associated with the user simply by knowing the user's name.