wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] Issue: Binary Token & XML Token should be abstract

Chris

Your as bad as I, working Sunday night. :-)

We, the TC, have been very diligent in adding additional important
functionality to the specification.  However, we have not been as diligent
in removing existing functionality that has been or could be duplicated by
new functionality.  I believe that it is important to make a specification
"as simple as possible, but not any simpler". (Quote attributed to Albert
Einstein.)  My goal in this thread is to eliminate functionality that can be
covered by another function/element.

You have brought up a problem, namely an ambiguity in the schema spec.  I'm
not aware of this problem.  Could you give me a pointer?  I have recommended
that an optional EncodingType attribute be added to the STR, which would be
used whenever an embedded token is used.  Isn't this the same solution that
is suggested for the BST in the core spec?

I am not suggesting an <any> attribute for the STR but optional ValueType
and EncodingType attributes to be used when there is an embedded token.

My empirical evidence for the elimination of the Binary and XML tokens is
that only one of all our profiles uses either of these tokens.

Don

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Kaler [mailto:ckaler@microsoft.com]
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2003 1:53 AM
To: Don Flinn; WSS

Are you suggesting that the STR replace the BST?  You will find that
have an element whose type can be either simple or complex is wrought
with problems.  We tried to do this a while ago and there are problems.
There is an ambiguity in the schema spec which different vendors have
interpreted differently.  Consequently, most tools seem to disagree (or
not work) on this.

I guess I still don't see the motivation.  There is not a lot to be
gained by having one single type for tokens as it ends up having to have
an <any> which eliminates strong type checking.

Also, while there are times when an embedded token in an STR is useful,
I don't see that as the typical case.

Can you explain more about the problem you are trying to solve?

Chris