wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] ISSUE 70 Part 1: S:mustUnderstand, what part of mustUnderstand don't we understand

Thomas:

I think that there will be extensions to the protocol that do other
useful things other than just decrypt. For example, in the receipt token
profile that I proposed, we wanted the responding server to fault if it
did not understand how to process the <ReceiptRequest> token. And this
is where we got into trouble because it wasn't clear how to use
mustUnderstand to get the desired effect. I think that any solution we
come up with to this problem should be general enough to be used by
other profile documents that may come along in the future and require
processing.

-Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: DeMartini, Thomas [mailto:Thomas.DeMartini@CONTENTGUARD.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 3:16 PM
To: Irving Reid; wss@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [wss] ISSUE 70 Part 1: S:mustUnderstand, what part of
mustUnderstand don't we understand

Irving brings up good points.  Not only is adding a profile id attribute
undesirable, but also, in general, I wonder if we are getting carried
away with mustUnderstand and losing sight of why we need it.

Perhaps a good way to begin thinking about this is what would be wrong
with requiring mustUnderstand = 0 on the Security header?  The thing
that first springs to mind for me is if the Security header has some
encryption things in it that need to be decrypted.  In that case we need
to have mustUnderstand = 1 so that intermediaries will decrypt the
respective parts properly and not just process the message completely
oblivious to the fact it has a decryption job to do.

Are there any other scenarios where the recipient absolutely *MUST*
understand the security header?  It seems to me that everything else
(signatures, time stamps, tokens, etc.) are placed in the security
header only on the off chance that they might be useful to the recipient
-- in other words, if the recipient doesn't find them useful, no big
deal.  It seems what we really care about here is a way for the
recipient to tell the sender the sender must include a signature, a
token, a timestamp, etc.

So, in summary, I think this problem simply boils down to saying that if
mustUnderstand = 1 on a Security header that the recipient must decrypt
any encryption things inside of it.

Have I oversimplified?

Thanks,
Thomas.