wss message

Subject: Re: [wss] Discussion of Issue 72 - Expiration

It seems like the security benefit of Expires is marginal unless you
specifying the processing rules:  Expires is for the benefit of the
sender.  If the receiver's processing isn't predicatable from the
sender's point of view, what does the sender gain by including an
Expires element?   If the processing isn't defined here, then how does
the sender know what processing rules the receiver will use?   What
risks have we reduced for the sender?

On the other hand, it seems clear we're introducing risks:  The spec is
more complex with Expires than without it -- complexity entails risk on
several levels.  Also, if we specify the syntax but not the processing,
it seems like there's a risk that applications and/or future
specifications will define incompatible processing for Expires, and
those incompatibilities might be exploitable.  It's easy to see several
ways this might happen.  Why open the door to this?

The non-security benefits seem marginal -- we may conserve a few dozen
bytes on the wire by providing a single way of expressing Expires for
future specs (assuming they can define orthogonal/compatible processing
rules).  And we've saved future spec writers a little bit of effort by
providing a syntax for Expires.  What else do we get by including it?

It seems like we should either nail down Expires processing or leave
expiries to future standards that are ready to tackle a complete
specification for the behavior.

I have no opposition to trying to nail it down in this spec, tho I think
the work to nail it down is substantial:  it's easy to see how this
would work predictably in a synchronus, request-response environment;
it's much less clear how it should work in an environment that uses
asynchronus and/or reliable transport or where messages are routed to
several recipients, each of which contributes to the processing.

I suspect it might be easier to define this in the context of a specific
protocol, where the processing environment is more constrained  (e.g.
clocks are synchronzed, interactions are synchronus, request-response,
etc) or where other resources (e.g. message ids, policy statements, etc)
are available.

cheers,

-Pete Dapkus
pdapkus@bea.com