wss message

Subject: Re: [wss] Issue: replay attacks & timestamp

Martijn,

What if the SOAP role is one of the values defined in the spec?

e.g.
        http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope/role/ultimateReceiver
        http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope/role/next

I don't see how this proposal prevents a replay attack on a different
server.
These roles, and likely others to be defined, are abstract roles, not
identities.

If the signature were signed over an endpointReference such as defined in
the WS-Addressing spec[1], (e.g. <wsa:To/>) then you might have something
that would ensure that a message could not be replayed (or even processed)
by an unintended recipient.

[1] http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-add/

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
phone: +1 508 234 3624

"De Boer, Martijn" <martijn.de.boer@sap.com> wrote on 06/13/2003 02:24:51
AM:

> On the F2F I took the action to take a closer look at signatures,
timestamps and replay attacks.
> After we have moved the Timestamp element down to the Security header
element, this timestamp is
> to be taken for the expiration of the security header.
>
> In the core specification, section 13 "Security Considerations" it is
suggested to use timestamps,
> sequence Numbers, Expirations, Message Correlations and unique nonces to
protect against replay attacks.

> Now let's assume the following scenario: A client creates a SOAP message
and signs the body; the
> signature over the body is semantically interpreted by the server as an
authentication. To prevent
> replays, the following elements may be added to the signature:
>
> 1)   Timestamps & Expirations
>
>    Timestamps may be added to the wsse:Security header to indicate the
freshness of the message,
> and it is up to the server to reject the message after a certain time;
or - when the client
> specifies an expiration time - the message should not be processed by
the server after the
> expiration time. However, within the expiration time a message may still
be replayed to a different server.

> 2)   Nonces
>
>    Nonces may be added to make the signature unique - and the server
should not accept a signature
> with the same nonce form the same recipient twice; However, a message
may still be replayed to a
> different server.
>
> 3)   Sequence Numbers
>
>    Similar to nonces, a message can still be replayed to a different
server

> 4)   Message Correlations
>
>    For the first request, message correlations cannot yet be applied,
and thus offer no additional
> protection for replay attacks.
>
> Proposal
> =======
>
> In order to prevent replay attacks, the following is proposed:
>
>       *   The signature adds an (optional) reference to the SOAP Role.
As XML DSIG does not allow
> for signing attributes, an element specifying the SOAP Role is added.
>       *   The processing rules are changed to reflect this change:
>
>             If the signature references a different SOAP Role, the
validation of the signature shall fail.