wss message

Subject: Minutes for Telecon, Tuesday 26 August 2003

Minutes for WSSTC Telecon, Tuesday 26 August 2003
Dial in info: 1-405-244-5555  Passcode: 6921
Minutes taken by Steve Anderson

                              Summary

  Votes:

    - Minutes from 12 August 2003 meeting accepted (unanimous)

  Decisions:

    - Interop2 to be held week of 22 Sept
    - Votes on advancing 3 docs to CS will open soon and close around
      5 Sept

  New (General) Action Items:

    - Kelvin will clean up doc links from TC home page

  Issues List Action Items & Status Updates:

    - 128: Resolved in lastest revision
        - CLOSED
    - 129: Resolved in lastest revision
        - CLOSED
    - 130: Resolved in lastest revision
        - CLOSED
    - 131: Phill provided clarification
        - CLOSED
    - 132: Resolved in lastest revision
        - CLOSED
    - 133: Merlin to provide text
        - PENDING
    - 134: Editors to review and correct if comfortable
        - PENDING

                             Raw Notes

> Agenda:
>
> 1. Roll call

- Attendance attached to bottom of these minutes
- Quorum achieved

> 2. Review minutes from previous meeting (8/12/2003)
>    < http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wss/
>      200308/msg00028.html >

- [VOTE] unanimous consent, accepted

> 3. Editorial updates/document status [Editors]

- Phill: had meeting re:X509 draft last Thursday
    - sorted out all outstanding issues
    - lost power before minutes could go out
    - Merlin made final edits
    - v10 is uploaded on site
    - not aware of any remaining outstanding issues
    - Kelvin: so you feel this is the version we'll be voting on?
    - Phill: yes
    - believes any issues are with other parts of the spec
    - Ron: tried to download, and couldn't read PDF, did anyone else
    - Chris: didn't have any trouble
    - Kelvin: just tried it and got bizarre HTML error
    - Hal: not a persistent problem
    - Phill: asks Tony to post V10 to list
    - Tony: will do
- Tony: core spec updated, posted last night v16
    - includes all issues, including Merlin's late ones
    - Kelvin: didn't get notification of posting
    - Hal: doesn't see it either
    - Hal: owes some non-normative text for core, re: the 2 c14n methods
    - will post later today
    - would like to see in the Committee Spec
    - Tony: doc is listed on OASIS web site
    - seem to be issues with Kavi notifications
    - Kelvin: sees in repository
    - Chris: doesn't see point in holding up spec for Hal's non-normative
      text
    - Hal: ok with that
    - Kelvin: asks Hal to send "issue" email re: this text
    - Kelvin: asks everyone to consider this version the one we'll vote on
- Tony: Username is out there, and no issues are pending
    - v4 is most recent
- Kelvin: so, X509 v10, Core v16, and Username Token v4 is the set for
  consideration
- Ron: letting me off easy here
    - Kelvin: was going to cover this later, but if you have update now,
      that's ok
    - Ron: was on vacation last week, so didn't work on it
    - will work on it this week & show it to the SAML folks
    - will have ready by next meeting

> 5. Address any remaining V1 issues [reversed agenda order of these 2 items]

- Chris: going through issues list v23
    - 31: nothing new
        - Kelvin: asks OASIS board to escalate, but nothing moving
    - 82: skipping
    - 127: was pending
        - Hal: this is his
        - update to say: "Resolution is for Hal to provide non-normative text"
        - doesn't block shipping
    - 128: was in Tony's update
        - CLOSED
    - 129: CLOSED
    - 130: should be in latest update
        - CLOSED
    - 131:
        - Chris: proposes we defer until interop discussion
        - CLOSED [based on later discussion]
    - 132:
        - Hal: significant one fixed, other is irrelevant
        - CLOSED
    - 133:
        - [discussion]
        - Merlin will provide text to editors
        - PENDING
        - Kelvin: this could hold us up, so when can this be done?
        - Chris: hopes Merlin can get this out today
        - Hal: then, would like his text included too
        - agrees
        - Tony will incorporate and rev Core
    - 134: Merlin going through
        - 1st is minor
        - for the other, the syntax of the example needs to match, and that
          will result in updating line number references
        - Paul: we're reaching the point of marginal returns
        - this can be done as a comment
        - Hal: if we're making an update already, why not incorporate all
          changes
        - Paul: the more people speaking up now, the less comfortable we are
          voting on this now
        - Hal: this should be the end of the list
        - Chris: how do the editors feel about it
        - Tony: the edits are fine, but re-linking the line numbers could be
          a pain
        - will look at it, and may defer the line numbering change
        - Kelvin: please post a summary email of what made it & what didn't
- Chris: this is it for what we'll fix before the public review period
- Kelvin: need everyone to review these docs
- Prateek: can a message go out identifying the doc set for review?
- Kelvin: yes, will do
- Hal: the home page of the TC points to really old versions
- should delete or update
- [ACTION] Kelvin will clean up doc links from TC home page

> 4. Discussion of second interop scenarios

- Hal: published new version yesterday
    - relatively small changes
    - timestamp moved to back of header
    - STR deref transform parameter when in, but did it wrong, will fix
    - various issues with 2 ping scenario
    - Phill clarified a point
    - Hal will update and re-post
    - only thing left will be the fact that ping schema isn't right
- Chris: there was issue 131
    - Hal: Phill answered that, so considers it CLOSED
    - UPDATED issue 131
- Chris: has only gotten about 3 responses on interop participation
    - so asking now who can participate
    - Merlin: Baltimore probably could in about a week
    - Jan: Systinet can participate in about a week
    - Tony: IBM can be ready tomorrow
    - Ron: interested, but timeframe is issue
    - Chris: would 30 days work?
    - Ron: can't give definite answer, but 30 days or longer sounds right
    - Symon: CommerceOne maybe in 30 days
    - Shawn: Cyclone, ditto
    - Peter: BEA, ditto
    - Yutaka: Hitachi needs 3 weeks
    - Chris: so we have 7 "for sure" and 2 "maybe"
    - TJ: ContentGuard can be ready then
    - proposes we shoot for 30 days
    - Kelvin: doesn't want this to go past public review, so this will be
      close
    - Chris: so week of 22 Sept?
    - Paul: WS-I BSP F2F is that week (23-25)
    - Chris: this is completely virtual
    - Paul: but people can't do 2 things at once, if it's the same people
    - Chris: is this an issue for anyone listed?
    - [none raised]
    - Ron: what would schedule be?
    - Chris: expects to have stuff up all week
    - can setup specific times, but usually done ad hoc
    - Chris: any objections?
    - [none]
    - RESOLVED: interop to be held week of 22 Sept
- Hal: OASIS Board is considering extending public review period from 30 to
  60 days
    - Jamie: 60 days is developing as an international standard
    - encourages TC to send comments to board members or Karl if we feel this
      will critically affect our work
- Ron: asking about interop c14n use
    - seems that those who already have excl c14n code built, they don't have
      to change
    - but for those who will be writing new code, they'll be writing throw-
      away code
    - ??: not really throw-away
    - [discussion of what is required by XML Sig, and what may be
      needed/useful for interop in practice]
    - Chris: this was already agreed to
    - Hal: we can proceed with interop 2 as is, and we can use incl c14n for
      SAML-based interop, which hopefully will follow shortly
    - Ron: still not my preference, because it involves doing new work in an
      area that they don't intend to use in practice

> 6. V1 committee spec vote plan

- Kelvin: there will be 3 votes, one per spec, to advance to CS
- will set up to close by 5 Sept, and will have results on 9 Sept call
- there are a few to-do's for editors
- will not put votes up until new revs can be referenced explicitly
- Jamie: have been reports of oddities with Kavi voting
- suggests people, shortly after voting, re-confirm that their votes are
  recorded

> 7. Other business

- none

> 8. Adjourn

- Adjourned

Attendance of Voting Members:

  Gene Thurston AmberPoint
  Merlin Hughes Baltimore Technologies
  Irving Reid Baltimore Technologies
  Peter Dapkus BEA
  Hal Lockhart BEA
  Symon Chang CommerceOne
  Thomas DeMartini ContentGuard
  Guillermo Lao ContentGuard
  TJ Pannu ContentGuard
  Shawn Sharp Cyclone Commerce
  Rich Salz Data Power
  Tim Moses Entrust
  Toshihiro Nishimura Fujitsu
  Jason Rouault HP
  Yutaka Kudo Hitachi
  Derek Fu IBM
  Maryann Hondo IBM
  Kelvin Lawrence IBM
  Anthony Nadalin IBM
  Nataraj Nagaratnam IBM
  Don Flinn Individual
  Bob Morgan Individual
  Paul Cotton Microsoft
  Vijay Gajjala Microsoft
  Chris Kaler Microsoft
  Chris Kurt Microsoft
  John Shewchuk Microsoft
  Prateek Mishra Netegrity
  Frederick Hirsch Nokia
  Senthil Sengodan Nokia
  Lloyd Burch Novell
  Howard Melman Novell
  Ed Reed Novell
  Charles Knouse Oblix
  Steve Anderson OpenNetwork
  Vipin Samar Oracle
  Jerry Schwarz Oracle
  Andrew Nash RSA Security
  Edward Coyne SAIC
  Jonathan Tourzan Sony
  Yassir Elley Sun Microsystems
  Jeff Hodges Sun Microsystems
  Ronald Monzillo Sun Microsystems
  Jan Alexander Systinet
  Don Adams TIBCO
  John Weiland US Navy
  Phillip Hallam-Baker VeriSign
  Mark O'Neill Vordel

Attendance of Observers or Prospective Members:

  John Hughes Entegrity
  Jamie Clark OASIS
  Abbie Barbir Nortel
  BJ Fesq S&P

Membership Status Changes:

  Louisa Saunier HP - Granted voting status after 8/26/2003 call
  John Hughes Entegrity - Granted voting status after 8/26/2003 call

--
Steve