wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] ISSUE 190: text for SOAP MustUnderstand issue

David,

WS-Security is specifically designed to work with *any* version
of SOAP, not just SOAP1.1. Starting at line 162 of WS-Security draft 17:

        "This specification is designed to work with the general SOAP
message structure and message
        processing model, and should be applicable to any version of SOAP.
The current SOAP 1.2
        namespace URI is used herein to provide detailed examples, but
there is no intention to limit the
        applicability of this specification to a single version of SOAP."

Furthermore, WS-I BP1.0[1] clarifies SOAP1.1's somewhat ambiguous
definiton of SOAP
mustUnderstand and the relationship with the SOAP process model in a
manner
consistent with the SOAP1.2 Recommendation. Many if not most vendors have
indicated
that they will soon, or already have, adopted the WS-I BP1.0 guidance in
their product
offerings.

Hence, even if it were the case that wss were only intended to be used
normatively
with SOAP1.1, my proposed refinements to Irving's proposed changes would
still
be quite relevant and consistent with current practice and interpretation
of SOAP1.1.

[1] http://ws-i.org/Profiles/Basic/2003-08/BasicProfile-1.0a.htm#SOAPMEM

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris