wss message

Subject: Re: [wss] ISSUE 190: text for SOAP MustUnderstand issue

Timestamp/Expires is an interesting case to consider:  Expires means
that the sender wishes to invalidate the security properties of the
header after a certain time.   In this case, if the receiver were to
ignore the timestamp and process the message after the expiry, they
would be incorrectly (and at their own risk) attributing those security
properties to the message.

Since we don't constrain the possible semantics of tokens and we have at
least one example of a token that negates the semantics of other tokens
(and signatures), it seems risky to allow for selective processing of
tokens in the header.

I think the point of view that mustUnderstand's meaning should be
relative to application policy has merit (have I understood this header
well enough to determine if it meets my policy?).  However, it seems
like if the policy requires that the message be granted some level of
authority based on the header processing, then the bar for
mustUnderstand should be significantly higher.

-PEte