wss message

Subject: All WSS TC members please read - Moving our specs forward

This is one of the postings that I promised to make on our call earlier this week.

As we move toward the end game with some of our documents, the OASIS TC Process has a set of steps that we as a TC need to follow. The full details are at [1].

Included in these steps, are a checklist of 10 items that Chris and I as chairs have to complete as part of our final submission to the OASIS membership for final approval. These include testamonials about implementation and also some IP stuff (for ease I have cut and paste that checklist below)

Member Approval

A TC may recommend that the Committee Draft be made an OASIS Standard. Upon resolution of the TC to move the specification forward, its chair shall submit the following items to OASIS TC Administration:
  1. A formal specification that is a valid member of its type, together with appropriate documentation for the specification, both of which must be written using approved OASIS templates;
  2. A clear English-language summary of the specification;
  3. A statement regarding the relationship of this specification to similar work of other OASIS TCs or other standards developing organizations;
  4. Certification by at least three OASIS member organizations that they are successfully using the specification consistently with the OASIS IPR Policy;
  5. An account of each of the comments/issues raised during the public review period, along with its resolution;
  6. An account of and results of the voting to approve the approve the specification as a Committee Draft;
  7. An account of or pointer to votes and comments received in any earlier attempts to standardize substantially the same specification, together with the originating TC's response to each comment;
  8. A pointer to the publicly visible comments archive for the originating TC;
  9. A statement from the chair of the TC certifying that all members of the TC have been provided with a copy of the OASIS IPR Policy; and
  10. Optionally, a pointer to any minority reports submitted by one or more TC members who did not vote in favor of approving the Committee Draft, or certification by the chair that no minority reports exist.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone willing to be used as a reference for item 4.

For item "9" - I am assuming that all members of our TC have access to the OASIS IPR policy at [2]

Chris and I will be preparing the paperwork over the next week or so and would appreciate your timely input as needed in the above list to help us expedite the process if/when we as a TC decide to move forward.

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#standard
[2] http://www.oasis-open.org/who/intellectualproperty.php

Cheers
Kelvin