wss message

Subject: Re: [wss] the saml token profile depends on non-global attributes inkey identifier/wsse schema does not support keyIdentifier element extensibility

Chris,

Attribute and element extensibility are different.
You can have any attribute in keyIdentifier, but
you can't have any element.

To use a keyIdentifier to reference an off msg
SAML assertion, we need to know the saml:location
and saml:binding attributes to be able to dereference
the assertion id. The saml attributes are not global, thus
they cannot be directly included in keyIdentifier via its
attribute extensibility (although they could be cloned).

SAML defines a global element called AuthorityBinding that
contains the saml:location and saml:binding attributes. The
AuthorityBinding element could have been directly included
in keyIdentifier if EncodedString supported element extensibility.

My long term preference is to use a Direct Reference, but SAML
is in the process of defining URI reference forms.

My current thinking is that I will advocate including a
saml:AuthorityBinding
element at the top of the STR, when location and or binding attributes are
needed to interpret a contained keyIdentifier.

What do you think and thanks for answering.

Ron