wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] Groups - WSS-SAML-09.pdf uploaded

Ron,

I agree that the formulation I proposed for scenario 2b is
a sender-vouches use case. If the subject of the assertion
is not holder of the key used to sign the message then
I don't see any way this can be avoided using the
current saml defintions. In addition, at this point I have
not seen a compelling need to change the saml definitions,
because it appears to me that all the use cases we have
discussed seem to me to be implementable with the existing
definitions.

The way I view the 4 use cases is that we have one hk use
case (2a) and 3 sender-vouches use cases: 1a, 1b, 2b.

1a is a degenerate case of the attester and the saa being
the same entity with the attester both generating the
assertion and signing the message for the user.

1b is a case where there is a separate saml assertion authority
(saa) that the attester uses to get attributes about the subject.
The attester then signs both the message content and the
assertion that came from the saa. The recipient in this case
would (as in 1a) have a relationship with the attester and
the attester would have a separate relationship with the
saa that the recipient in general was not too concerned
about, since presumably the attester would take responsibility
for all third parties the attester utilized in providing
a service to the recipient.

1b is the use case demonstrated in section 5 (Sender-vouches: Signed)
in the interop spec.

2b is a case the same players exist as in case 1b, except the
recipient in this case relies on the saa for the business
relationship. In this context, in order for the recipient to
receive messages from the attester, there must be an established
relationship between the attester and the saa that the recipient
is prepared to utilize in the context of the relationship the
recipient has with the saa.

One way, as you have suggested in the profile spec, to implement
this is to have the saa grant the attester an hk assertion. The
recipient can then use the key in this assertion to trace back the
relationship to the saa. However, I do not believe that this
changes the overall characteristic of this scenario from
sender vouches to "hk-based impersonation", although that
phrase might be used to characterize the saa-attester relationship.
My point is that the saa-attester relationship could be done
in other ways as well, without altering the basic nature of
this scenario as sender-vouches.

One side comment regarding your proposed setup for 1a and 1b is
that I am concerned that using the SubjectConfirmation is that
according to the saml core the SubjectConfirmation/KeyInfo
is defined as:

	"<ds:KeyInfo> [Optional] 642
		An XML Signature [XMLSig] element that specifies
		a cryptographic key held by the subject."

which does not appear to be consistent with the sender-vouches
case where the key is held by the attester not the subject.

Do you think we are getting any closer on this overall subject,
or are there still some missing pieces that need to be addressed?

	Thanks,

	Rich