wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] KERBEROS PROFILE: ISSUE Ticket Granting Ticket

Title: RE: [wss] KERBEROS PROFILE: ISSUE Ticket Granting Ticket

I agree. Another point worth mentioning is that when the Kerberos protocol is used correctly and securely the TGT should not be transmitted anywhere. The TGT is designed to stay in a workstation or server credential cache and not be transmitted. However, service tickets are designed to be transmitted across networks so that mutual authentication, integrity and confidentiality can occur between initiator and acceptor.

Thanks,
Tim.

-----Original Message-----
From: Hallam-Baker, Phillip [mailto:pbaker@verisign.com]
Sent: 22 April 2004 17:24
To: wss@lists.oasis-open.org

I believe that the Ticket Granting Ticket should be eliminated from the
Kerberos profile.

The only valid use for a TGT is with the Kerb key derrivation algorithm.
That has no place in WS-Security. If it does appear it would be in WS-Trust
or the like and not in WS-Security.

Encrypting a WS-Security message with a TGT could lead to cross protocol
attacks. Really bad voodoo. I propose that unless someone gives a good
reason to keep TGT in the Kerb profile and describes fully how to use it
that we should eliminate it.