wss message

Subject: Proposed SwA Issue 341

To close issue 341 I propose we add the following to Draft 14 of the SwA Profile

a)  in section 4.5.2 Encryption processing rules, adding a new rule 4 between original rules 4 and 5.(and renumber the rules). This is a modification of what Maneesh proposed:

4.  Optionally set the <xenc:EncryptedData> Encoding attribute  to reflect the attachment MIME part Content-Transfer-Encoding header of the MIME part before encryption. Specifically, if the original MIME part had a base64 Content-Transfer-Encoding, the Encoding attribute MAY be set to the corresponding URL for base64 encoding specified in XML Digital Signature:  'http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#base64'. Other appropriate Encoding value URIs for other Content-Transfer-Encodings may be agreed outside the scope of this specification.

b)  in section 4.5.3, Decryption Processing rules, add a new step 6:

6. If the <xenc:EncryptedData> Encoding attribute  is present, optionally set the decrypted MIME part Content-Transfer-Encoding header value to correspond to the value of the Encoding attribute. Specifically, if the Encoding attribute value is the URL for base64 encoding,  'http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#base64', optionally set the Content-Transfer-Encoding header value to 'base64'. Note that the  XML Encryption recommendation refers to the Encoding attribute as advisory.

I am not aware of URIs for the other encodings, this can be out of scope of this SwA profile ( I guess the URI could be "7bit" for example?) .  I suggest that it is good to explicitly allow the use of Encoding attribute where it makes sense to the application rather than remaining silent.

Comment?

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Nokia

________________________________

From: ext Maneesh Sahu [mailto:maneesh@actional.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 1:44 PM
To: Hirsch Frederick (Nokia-TP/Boston); wss@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [wss] 2 Nov 04 Minutes V2, with attendance info

> Sent issues list:
>
> http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/wss/200411/msg00004.html <http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/wss/200411/msg00004.html>
>
> Maneesh from Actional noted some issues,

My issue is concerning the Content-Transfer-Encoding in Encryption and Decryption. We currently lose this information in a WSS SwA encryption. The XML Encryption Syntax and processing permits the ‘Encoding’ attribute in an EncryptedType that can store this information. If the attachment’s original CTE was base64, the Encoding attribute may be specified as 'http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#base64'. The decryptor may choose to utilize this encoding information to restore the attachment in its original encoding.

I suggest we add this line after 450-451:

Optionally set the <xenc:EncryptedData> Encoding attribute to the attachment MIME part Content-Transfer-Encoding header equivalent before encryption. For example:

     base64: 'http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#base64'

--ms