wss message

Subject: Re: [wss] RE: [wss-comment] Id clash case

> As Manveen has pointed out, I do not think that WS-Security clearly
> handles the case where a wsu:id attribute has the same value as another
> id attribute that is NOT from the wsu namespace e.g. xml:id.
>
> Mike: Do you want to extend the WSS uniqueness constraint to cover the
> case where another id attribute (not in the wsu namespace) has the same
> value as a wsu:id attribute?

It's a hard problem.  Unless every party seeing the message knows (such
as via Schema) about every ID attribute in the entire message, then the
"confusion" attack is still possible, as are various denial of service
attacks (inserting a new header with the same attribute but a different
hash value).  Meeting that requirement isn't possible, and even if we
could, it'd lead to very brittle and tightly bound applications, which
we don't want.

The best thing is probably to encourage that dsig:Reference/@URI values
*only* point to wsu:id attributes.  We can expect that all WSS-aware
toolkits to understand that one.  There will probably be pushback to use
xml:id, which is probably safe, too.  Perhaps the rationale just
mentions this issue, and WS-I profile makes it a MUST.

	/r$

--
Rich Salz, Chief Security Architect
DataPower Technology                           http://www.datapower.com