wss message

Subject: Re: [wss] Recently discover WSS security threat

Duane Nickull <dnickull@adobe.com> wrote on 06/06/2005 07:08:44 PM:

> I am a bit confused by this  thread.

I think we all are ;-)

> If an application encounters
> <my:header>
>    <my:integer>33</my:integer>
> </my:header>
>
> all it can see is 33 as the node content, not 32. That is representative

> of the current state of the fragment.

Part of signature verification involves applying a set of transform
algorithms. Typically these are used for canonicalization or, in the case
of
XPath, for selection of a subset of the fragment. Thomas is pointing out
in
his example that a tranform can do more than canonicalize or select, but
can
alter the value.

> To me the conversation is moot. I cannot sing something I cannot see nor

> should I.  Did I miss something?

You didn't miss anything. I think Thomas's example unfortunately obscures
his
real intent. I think he wants to use the XPath expression to filter the
set of
information that is passed to the application after signature processing.