wss message

Subject: text of Kerebos Channel binding and GSS-API (kerebos WG list)

Found another Point of view on the web....

- Channel binding

   Section 4, last paragraph (lines 214-215) says "It should be noted
   that transport-level security MAY be used to protect the message and
   the security token."  I think this needs some clarification.

   Why should the AP-REQ message require additional protection from
   lower layers?  From what sorts of attacks?  What if no such
   protection is available?  Shouldn't the session key from the AP-REQ
   be used to provide integrity protection to the S11 header?

   Or is this text indicating, obliquely I suppose, that it is possible
   to use this profile for authentication but rely on lower network
   layers for session protection?

   If the latter, note that there is a channel binding problem in that
   more normative text is needed to ensure that the end-points of the
   lower-layer channel and the application layer are effectively the
   same, else MITM attacks may be possible.  [Note: I assume that the
   "transport-level security" is secure against MITM attacks, but MITM
   attacks may be feasible nonetheless by misdirecting the
   system/application so that one layer or the other it is speaking to
   an otherwise properly authenticated attacked.]  This can be avoided
   with some additional requirements.<SNIP>

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/kitten/current/msg00496.html