wss message

Subject: Re: [wss] xml:id proposal

I support Frederick's proposal, nominally as-amended by Paul.

In terms of the proposed ammendments to the proposal, on item (3), in terms of
the proposed revised text, there is a SHOULD and a MAY that ought to be
capitalized...

   Tokens and elements that are defined in this specification and
   related profiles to use wsu:Id attributes SHOULD do so, additional
   profiles and other elements to be signed MAY choose to use xml:id or
   wsu:Id. ...

WRT this assertion..

 > Rationale: We cannot make support of xml:id mandatory since it breaks
 > backwards compatibility with WSS 1.0 and it is inappropriate to force
 > implementers to support xml:id so soon after it becomes a
 > Recommendation.

...it has me wondering this meta-question: "what's the point of WSSv1.1 if we
don't see any need for folks to update their toolkits? If they're in there
changing them, adding support for xml:id likely isn't that hard."

i.e. why can't we have language that effective says "All receivers MUST be able
to identify XML elements carrying either a wsu:Id or an xml:id attribute" ?

But, I can live with it being a "SHOULD".

I will not be able to make the Tue 6-Sep WSSTC concall, unfortunately, due to
travel.

If a decision on this proposal comes down to a roll-call vote, I request it
done via email or punted to the next meeting. I don't know if I personally will
have regained voting privs in any case, but I understand that various folks may
not be able to make this coming Tues meeting (eg this Mon is a US holiday), and
would like to see this issue get the broadest participation we can provide as I
think it has long-term subtle-but-important implications.

thanks,

JeffH