wss message

Subject: RE: [wss] WSS OTP-Token subcommittee proposal

The set of specific deliverables identified within the charter is
designated as "initial", and so does not appear exhaustive or
prescriptive.  Instead, I believe that it is reasonable to interpret and
anticipate that it could evolve over time within the boundaries of the
TC's chartered scope.  The OASIS TC process (Sec. 2.11) states that a TC
may expand its list of deliverables (via a charter clarification, rather
than through rechartering) if those new deliverables are within the
scope of the topic that the TC's charter defines. Referring to the WSS
charter, its scope statement is as follows:

"The scope of the Web Services Security Technical Committee is the
support of security mechanisms in the following areas:

    * Using XML signature to provide SOAP message integrity for Web
services
    * Using XML encryption to provide SOAP message confidentiality for
Web services
    * Attaching and/or referencing security tokens in headers of SOAP
messages
    * Carrying security information for potentially multiple, designated
actors
    * Associating signatures with security tokens"

It is not apparent to me that the proposed OTP profile work is any more
or less consistent with this list than the profiles that have already
been addressed by the TC.

--jl