wss message

Subject: New Profiles

When we wisely decided that tokens would be specified by separate
documents we did not, unwisely :-), explicitly determine whether new
profiles would be developed under this TC or under a new TC.  The
OTP-Token is one of probably many additional new token profiles.  I
would like to propose, for discussion, the following motion:

"Any additional profiles other than those currently contained within the
1.0 and 1.1 WSS specification be developed within an OASIS TC other than
the existing WSS TC."

I realize that this is a larger issue than that of the OTP-Token
proposal, but closing this hole will, as a side effect, resolve the
OTP-Token issue.

However, this raises another issue.  Who or what controls what new
profiles will be incorporated into the WSS protocol?  Should the WSS TC
have approval of any new profiles developed by the new TCs or should any
profile that gains OASIS status be accepted as a legitimate WSS profile.
Since any OASIS member, including WSS TC members, may vote, raise issues
and comment on the acceptance of new profiles, I believe that this would
be sufficient oversight.

Don

--
Don Flinn, President