wss message

Subject: Re: [wss] error in wss-v1.1-spec-cs-SAMLTokenProfile 3.5.2.3 and3.5.2.4 examples

Greg Whitehead wrote:

> I think now I'm even more confused now.
>
> Isn't this section supposed to show how one would use a sender-
> vouches assertion? I guess it's fine to show use of a holder-of-key
> assertion to sign the message, but wouldn't the sender-vouches
> assertion need to be included if it's in play? Otherwise, this is
> just a holder-of-key example.

It is included in that it is signed info by reference

<ds:Reference URI="#STR1">
<Transforms>
<ds:Transform
Algorithm="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-
200401-wss-soap-message-security-1.0#STR-Transform">
<wsse:TransformationParameters>
<ds:CanonicalizationMethod
Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2001/10/xml-exc-c14n#"/>
</wsse:TransformationParameters>
</ds:Transform>
</Transforms>
<ds:DigestMethod
Algorithm= "http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#sha1"/>
<ds:DigestValue>...</ds:DigestValue>
</ds:Reference>

for a sender-vouches assertion to be "used" according to the profile it
must be bound
by the attesting entity to the vouched for message content (so that the
receiver...).

A signature over the message content and the vouched for assertion is
one way
(i.e., the typical way) to accomplish this.

In the example the key identified in the hok assertion is used by the
attesting entity to sign what is
being attested for - in  this case the sender-vouches assertion  and the
associated msg content -
thus the composition in the example.

the use of the hok assertion to provide the signing key is not the focus
of the example.

Ron