Subject: Re: [xacml-comment] Target merging and matching

On 23 July, John Howard writes: Re: [xacml-comment] Target merging and matching
 > The potential problem with the MatchId is the complexity, from a programming
 > point of view, of computing a merge.  If you allow too much flexibility the
 > merge software becomes incredibly complex.

We have always said that "computing" merged targets is likely to
be intractable in many cases.

I think in cases such as the one you describe, that the policy
writer will write the Target to cover the set of subjects and
resources that the policy writer is responsible for covering,
then include the rules that should apply, rather than trying to
compute the Target from the rules.

On the other hand, we are still actively working on the syntax
and semantics of Target matching, so it is good to have your
examples in front of us as we weigh the trade-offs between
various alternatives.

Anne Anderson
Sun Microsystems Laboratories
1 Network Drive,UBUR02-311     Tel: 781/442-0928
Burlington, MA 01803-0902 USA  Fax: 781/442-1692