Subject: Re: [xacml-comment] Resource types

Paul Andrews,

On 12/02/02, the XACML TC comments subcommittee resolved this
comment by rewording Section A.12 Matching elements as in the
attached document.

Anne Anderson, Comments Editor

On 22 November, Paul Andrews writes: [xacml-comment] Resource types
 > From: Paul Andrews <paandrew@cisco.com>
 > To: xacml-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
 > Subject: [xacml-comment] Resource types
 > Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:28:59 -0500
 >
 > I note that the set of types allowed in a 'resource' element is restricted,
 > as is the match criteria. Given the nature of my employers business I would
 > like to be able to use types and match criteria that have not been defined.
 > My reading of the spec. shows that the accepted answer to that is to move
 > the resource specification to a 'condition' element instead, but that simply
 > begs the question of why a 'resource' element exists in the first place if a
 > 'condition' element can achieve the exact same thing (or conversely, if a
 > condition element can be extended, then why not a 'resource' element).
 >
 > I understand the desire to facilitate indexing, however moving a resource
 > match to a condition makes it difficult, i fnot impossible, to deduce the
 > role played by the arguments to the condition. This in turn makes it hard to
 > automatically translate the XACML representation of a policy into a
 > different representation (as might be necessary if the actual access control
 > were being performed by a legacy system).

 > <HTML><HEAD>
 > <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
 > <META content="MSHTML 5.50.4807.2300" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
 > <BODY>
 > <DIV><SPAN class=072370915-22112002><FONT face=Arial size=2>I note that the set
 > of types allowed in a 'resource' element is restricted, as is the match
 > criteria. Given the nature of my employers business I would like to be able to
 > use types and match criteria that have not been defined. My reading of the spec.
 > shows that the accepted answer to that is to move the resource specification to
 > a 'condition' element instead, but that simply begs the question of why a
 > 'resource' element exists in the first place if a 'condition' element can
 > achieve the exact same thing (or conversely, if a condition element can be
 > extended, then why not a 'resource' element).</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
 > <DIV><SPAN class=072370915-22112002><FONT face=Arial
 > size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
 > <DIV><SPAN class=072370915-22112002><FONT face=Arial size=2>I understand the
 > desire to facilitate indexing, however moving a resource match to a condition
 > makes it difficult, i fnot impossible,&nbsp;to deduce the&nbsp;role played
 > by&nbsp;the arguments to the condition. This in turn makes it
 > hard&nbsp;to&nbsp;automatically translate the XACML representation of a policy
 > into&nbsp;a different representation (as might be necessary if the actual access
 > control were being performed by a legacy system).&nbsp;</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
 > <DIV><SPAN class=072370915-22112002><FONT face=Arial
 > size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

Sun Microsystems Laboratories
1 Network Drive,UBUR02-311     Tel: 781/442-0928
Burlington, MA 01803-0902 USA  Fax: 781/442-1692