Subject: Some observations

1.  For RBAC there is a need to define policySet that are only accesible
through a policySetIdReference, it would be useful if a policySet could
be defined as either public or private.  public policySets would always
be evaluated, private policySets would only be evaluated if included as
a reference.

The next two comments arise from our experience in trying to graphically
represent an XACML policy.

2.  As any thought been given to defining function classes.  For re-use
it would be useful to be able to define a function class as a set of
logic and a number of parameters.  e.g.  calculateAge would take a date
of birth as a parameter and return the age in years.  This condition
could then be used to calculate Bart's DOB, or the Doctor's DOB for
example.  This is both good from a re-use point of view, but it is very
benefical when graphically trying to represent XACML as a condition can
then be modeled as a decision tree.  With the decision tree consisting
of the function classes.  e.g.

Is Under 18 ------- CalculateAge ------- dob

       |------------- current Date

dob and current Date are attributes.  Is Under 18 and Calculate Age are
functions.

3.  The other addition that would be welcome is that of attribute
aliasing.  What we are finding is that the person who defines the model
is not necessary the same person that will connect the policy to the
real world.  So a modeller would want to deal with abstract attributes,
but the deployer would want to deal with real world attributes.  e.g.
LoanValue may be a XPath into the input document, Role may come from an
external attribute server, but the modeller doesn't need to know this
information and it would be good from a graphical representation of
XACML if this could be hidden.  Yes, we could keep a seperate meta-data
file for a policy, but we feel there is a benefit for having all the
information in the policy.

John.