Subject: Re: [xacml-comment] Public Comment

I think it is not appropriate express Separation of Duty(SoD) using
XACML. Separation of Duty means that the security administrator must
not assign two (or more) mutually exclusive roles to one single user.
And dynamic SoD means that one single user can activate two mutually
exclusive roles in once session. Howerver, in the XACML Profile for
RBAC, static SoD policy can not be expressed because XACML profile for
RBAC can not control user role assignment. It said,

   The assignment of various role attributes to users and the enabling
of those attributes within a session are outside the scope of the
XACML PDP.

In fact, the XACML profle for RBAC defines dynamic SoD. It gives
expression to that once one user activated two (or more) mutually
exclusive roles, then each request from user will be denied. This
interpretation may be some different with the definition of dynamic
SoD since in XACML profile for RBAC mutually exclusive roles can be
activated in a single session synchronously.

I think that SoD policy helps security administrator to manage
privilege, does not bring into play during access decision process. So
I think SoD should be outside the scope of the XACML PDP. It is more
better to enforce SoD policy by XACML PEP.

Is that correct?

--
Best Regards,
Zhao Chen