Subject: Obligations

Dear List,

Forgive what I’m sure is an obvious question, but I can’t find it in the XACML literature anywhere. If the PDP returns an obligation to the PEP which the PEP can’t process or execute, then we have three possible actions by the PEP depending on the bias. We can classify the actions of the PEP depending on the response return by the PDP (when the PEP can’t process the obligation) as follows:

                                            RESPONSE

                                PERMIT                DENY

====================================

Base                      DENY                     PERMIT

Deny-biased      DENY                     DENY

Permit-biased   PERMIT                PERMIT

Why isn’t there a bias in which the PEP allows access if and only if the PDP allows access, regardless of whether the PEP can discharge the obligation or not? In other words, the PEP allows access if and only if the PDP returns permit. For lack of a better term, this could be termed a “response biased PEP”.

My guess was that since the obligation doesn’t have the power to change the access control decision, it is not considered part of the access control system; however, since such a functionality would allow the policy and the PDP to dynamically generate obligations without changing the access control decision, I would suggest that such functionality is part of the access control system. For example, the policy could state (that perhaps depending an attribute which defines the number of times a subject had attempted to access a resource) the PEP should send an e-mail alerting the subject or resource owner when access has been allowed or disallowed. This wouldn’t change the access control decision but is still an obligation.

Thoughts?

Alex

===

Dr. Alexander W. Dent