Subject: Re: [xacml-comment] Behavior of the to-lower-case function

Hi Florian,

Yes, XACML 2.0 is unclear about these issues, so we improved the spec for 3.0. I suggest that you simply implement what the 3.0 says, since this is consistent with the 2.0 spec as well.

The "tailoring..." should be explained in the given references.(You probably have to search back to the Unicode specifications.)

Best regards,.
Erik

On 2009-12-31 11:46, Florian Huonder wrote:

Hi all,

We from HERAS-AF implemented an XACML 2.0 evaluation engine.

Therefore we had to implement the function

  • urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:1.0:function:string-normalize-to-lower-case

The issue I am currently facing with this function is that it does a “to lower case”.

In XACML 2.0 it simply says “This function SHALL take one argument of data-type ‘http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string’ and SHALL normalize the value by converting each upper case character to its lower case equivalent.”. No word about locales. But to-lower-case always depends on the locale.

In XACML 3.0 it says “Case mapping shall be done as specified for the fn:lower-case function in [XF] with no tailoring for particular languages or environments.”. I am not an expert in this area and don’t really understand what is meant with “no tailoring for particular languages and environments”.

So my questions:

·         Should the handling in XACML 2.0 be the same as in XACML 3.0?

·         How is this meant “no tailoring for particular languages and environments”?

Regards

Florian