Subject: Environment Definition

All,

Here at NGA and ODNI we are currently going through a process of modeling ‘entities’ based on XACML.  One of my questions is based on the definition of Environment - The set of attributes that are relevant to an authorization decision and are independent of a particular subject, resource or action.

My confusion is based on the word ‘independent.’  Reason being, we are looking to include things such as session based attributes (e.g., credential, network, device, OS used), building or room in which the Subject resides, and devices/systems traversed when transiting to the Resource for Environment attributes for the Subject. Each of these ‘environments’ may have their own set of attributes (e.g., location, clearance, entitlements) which may be combined to create a bit of a Russian doll or highly matrixed situation.

Anyway, are these things, even though related to the Subject, independent or not independent of the Subject?

Regards,

Craig Heier

GEOAxIS SEIN Team Lead

NGA SEIN