Subject: Re: [xacml-dev] attribute retrieval protocol

Anne's comment about the SAML profile is a good one. It will help with
some of what you're trying to do. Let me point out something else.

On Oct 9, 2004, at 2:39 PM, Argyn wrote:
> [...]
> I thought if there wer XML schema to request attribute, then this
> could work better in Web environment. A client sends XACML Request to
> PDP server. Currently, it expects to get XACML Response with a
> decision.
>  What if we change Response contract, making it return a request for
> additional information. there'll be XACML scehma for a responce with
> such a request.

What you're looking for is already available. When a Response is
returned, it can contain Status, which in turn can include specific
details about the evaluation. One use for this that the specification
calls out is returning a Decision of Indeterminate, and including
Status that names specific missing attributes, and optionally aceptable
values for those attributes.

The specification got a little messed up in 1.x, but has been clarified
in 2.0. It gives you exactly what you're looking for. Using this
approach, the PEP and PDP can have a multi-message exchange until the
PDP returns a non-Indeterminate Decision, or the PEP can no longer
provide missing attributes.

I think the SAML info is still good to look at, since I would far
prefer a system where the context handler can fetch attributes as
needed, as opposed to constantly re-querying the PEP. However, in a
system where you can't make attributes in your app available to the
context hander, this Respose-driven mechanism should work for you.

seth