Subject: Re: [xacml-users] AttributeSelector usage

On Mar 11, 2005, at 3:01 PM, Daniel Engovatov wrote:
> What function?  There are no standard functions that do take an untyped
> DOM type.  And why DOM node?   And how would you specify in the
> standard
> how to validate it?

Daniel - I think you missed Prakash's point. It's not that he wants
AttributeSelector to return a generic DOM node, it's that he wants it
to be able to use an arbitrary node as the root for some data, which
may be a single value or may be mixed content. True, in the standard
there are no datatypes that support this, but you can write a custom
datatype (and custom functions) that do. When you do so, you can't
select it with an AttributeSelector since that mechanism is restricted
to work only with attributes/text/etc.

Basically, it's a shame that you need to write a new function that acts
just like AttributeSelector for any new datatype you invent that is
represented by mixed content in a DOM tree. On this point I agree.

seth