Subject: RE: [xacml-users] solution !

Hi Muhammad

Constraints on role activation/availability have been discussed within the
RBAC research community.  Perhaps the most widely studied are temporal
constraints introduced by Bertino and her colleagues.

Elisa Bertino, Piero A. Bonatti, Elena Ferrari: TRBAC: A temporal role-based
access control model. ACM Trans. Inf. Syst. Secur. 4(3): 191-233 (2001)

James Joshi, Elisa Bertino, Usman Latif, Arif Ghafoor: A Generalized
Temporal Role-Based Access Control Model. IEEE Trans. Knowl. Data Eng.
17(1): 4-23 (2005).

This is a temporal model for RBAC which restricts the use of roles to
certain times: the day_shift role can only be activated between the hours
09:00 and 18:00, for example.  Once such constraints are specified, problems
arise with the activation of more senior roles.  I believe the most relevant
problem, with respect to your queries over the last few days, is whether the
manager role, for example, inherits the permissions of the day_shift role
outside the hours 09:00-18:00.  There is no consensus within the academic
community on how these issues should be handled.  They are certainly not
covered in the current ANSI standard nor, by extension, in the XACML profile
for RBAC.

In short, you will have to find your own way to resolve these issues,
perhaps taking inspiration from one of the strategies for dealing with
(temporal) constraints on role usage suggested by Bertino et al.

Regards

Jason

Dr Jason Crampton
jason.crampton@rhul.ac.uk